Dog Vomit Slime Mold

Yep, you read that correctly. Dog Vomit Slime Mold…


One bright and sunny morning, I decided to water all of my plants prior to the typical hot and humid mid-summer Maryland day ahead of us.

Here’s the playback.

“Oh, hello my lovely Desert Sunset Caladium! You look like you could use a little drink…”

Wait, what the, what is that!?

Spider eggs? Big ass, oozing spider eggs?

Ok, let’s look this up. Oh, it’s Dog Vomit Slime Mold? Ok, I thought it was something seriously evil, like about to hatch a million tiny alien babies kind of evil.

Thankfully, it’s not.

Dog Vomit Slime Mold is harmless to humans, thrives on decaying organic material and LOVES shady, moist environments. The best way to remove it is to gently place it into a bag, preferably without having to touch it or wear gloves, use a shovel, etc., close tightly and dispose. Be as gentle as possible as to not disturb the spores, which can lead to airborne spreading. And don’t, under any circumstances do what I did, don’t spray it with water!!  I wasn’t thinking and sprayed it with my garden hose, instantly regretting it. The next thing I knew, a hundred million-billion spores went flying in every direction possible. Because I’m human, I quickly dropped the hose, covered my nose and mouth with my shirt and ran inside the house.

yay. spores.

On the flip side, it’s a pretty shade of mustard yellow, has a neat texture and mine kind of looked like two scoops of melty ice cream.

Always look for the beauty in nature, right? That’s right.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *